Monday, August 18, 2008

Collector's Corner #28

On September 18, 1992, one of my biggest dreams (at the time) came true... I met the group Faith No More.

Collector's Corner 28

I had a friend at the time that worked for a rock music magazine. He usually got a "press pass" when bands came to town so he could go backstage and interview them. This night he had three backstage passes. He invited me and another friend to go with him.

At the time, they were the band that influenced me the most. They are mentioned in this and this previous post as a major musical influence.

The pictures we had for the band to sign were 1'x1' pasteboard album covers that were hung in music stores when new albums came out. It was a treat for fans to be able to collect those squares of their favorite bands.

So when I met them, I had each of them sign mine as such (from left to right):
  • Mike Patton (vocals) - I had him sign it to Mune Mud. I also mentioned I liked his other band, Mr. Bungle. So for that band he put the "B" in front of him.
  • Billy Gould (bass) - I had him also sign it to Mune Mud.
  • Mike Bordin - He misunderstood me when he asked how I wanted it signed. I said "To Jason... how original, huh?" and he thought I said "To Jason the Original".
  • Roddy Bottum (keyboard) - He just signed his name.
  • Jim Martin (guitar) - The band was having problems with Jim at the time, so he wasn't in with the rest of the band meeting fans. In fact, shortly after this concert he left the band. So Mike Patton drew the circle over Jim's face when I asked where Jim was.
So this little artifact is now hanging in the Hall of Fame Wing of the Metal XOR Studio Museum.

No comments: