Thursday, December 20, 2007

Collector's Corner #22

Today's Collector's Corner returns to the earliest days of PC computing.

I bought my first PC in 1994. Within a few months I was trying to combine my hobbies of music and computers, but the computer just couldn't handle much music. So I created two .BMP files in Paint and used them as the splash screen instead of the Windows logo when Windows 3.1 loaded. I also had a short sample of the song play when Windows started.

Collector's Corner 22a

The first one (above) was for the song "Waterfall" off of the 1991 Mune Mud album Olympus. The album had been out for a couple years already but it was still being promoted.

The second one (below) was for the song "Ataxia" off of the 1993 NueroMorgue album Devis Tortura. That album had come out the previous year so it was still fresh.

Collector's Corner 22b

These files were recently discovered in a reorganization of the Studio's hard drives. They have a date-stamp from 1994, possibly the oldest files on the Studio's computers.

They have been transferred to the Digital Wing of the Metal XOR Studio Museum.

No comments: