Saturday, September 1, 2007

State of the Studio #1: September '07

This feature will appear on the first of every month to let the public know recent accomplishments and what is currently happening within the walls of Metal XOR Studio.

Obviously the biggest news of the past month is the creation of this blog. It does not take a lot of time to create a post, so I think I will be able to maintain this for quite a while. I have had a lot of posts this first week, but that is because I have a lot of information I want to share. I have so many ongoing series ready to start that it is a bit crazy. Some will be on a weekly basis, some will be at random times whenever I have a chance to post a new one. Unless real life gets too crazy, expect the blog to be around for a while.

Reviews have been positive on the latest album release, Paige's My First Album. It was fun to do and I hope in the upcoming year to record her more often than I did in the year that CD covers. Kids only sing like that once, when they get older they lose the "kid" voice. And we will see how Will does in a year or so. . .

As far as my music goes, I have an album about half-finished. I started it in September of 2006 when I was on vacation when Will was born. I got a lot of material recorded and some of it even made it to its final stage, but I have not had much time to continue with it since. It is an entirely new music project, it does not even have a name yet. It is all synth/keyboards and done within one computer program called Reason. The sounds are incredible and are one of the things that inspired me to go in a new direction with my music. Some of it sounds Middle Eastern, some Asian, some African. I know this sounds like a strange mix, but it does come together nicely. This CD will be perfect for listening to in bed in the dark. It is very atmospheric. I will update next month if it is any closer to completion.

The Studio equipment setup has changed over the last year or two. The 4-track recorder that was bought in March of 1991 really needs to be in a nursing home. It just can't do the job it used to. So I try not to use it any more to record so it will still work when I need to play back one of the old 4-track master tapes. So I have been experimenting with multi-track recording using a computer. Vocals are the hardest thing because I am used to running vocals through a processor before it gets recorded (a habit from recording to tape for so many years). So now when I try to record vocals dry to add whatever effects I need after they are recorded, it is very hard for me to do. And getting sound levels and techniques down when you don't get to record very often is also difficult. But I am still trying to tweak out a new equipment setup that will be easy-to-use and versatile. That is another reason my unnamed object took a different music direction, it is all instrumental and done in the computer, so I do not need to record guitars or vocals. That makes it much easier.

And that's about all I have to say about the current situation. No new albums will be out any time soon, even though there are many started or in the pre-planning stages. I will continue work on the instrumental album and try to continue recording Mune Mud songs with guitars and singing when I get the equipment layout straightened out. I will continue recording Paige singing now and then. And we will see where I am a month from now. . .

No comments: