Monday, September 17, 2007

Studio News: A New Project?

A new project? A new album?

I had an idea today. I haven't decided if I want to pursue it yet. It would be a big commitment on my part, but one I feel is needed. What is this idea? Read the next paragraph to find out.

A marathon music month. Huh? Starting October 1 and ending October 31, my spare time will be nothing but music. The goal is to see how much material can be produced in just my free time (usually the hour or two after everyone else in the house is asleep) over the course of thirty-one days. Ideally I would like all songs to be completely finished within that one-month time period, but if post-production is needed I can do that in November.

I would like to have a new album out by the end of the year. And if I can dedicate every spare minute to this project, I think I can do it. Some things to consider if I decide to attempt this:
  • It would require a new project name. This will not be Mune Mud!
  • Preparation of new hardware and software. My recording computer and new recording software will need to be fine-tuned and ready to go within two weeks.
  • Inspiration will need to be found. It's hard to record music if I'm "not in the mood."
  • An album theme. With it being autumn and the month of spooks and ghouls, should I give the album a horror/spooky theme?
  • A new album title will be needed. This will best be determined after the songs are completed.
  • Should samples be collected? Will the album be sample-heavy or just instruments and vocals? I need to decide.
  • Will it be just me making the music or should I have others involved?
  • Should I start collecting song titles now or let the inspiration come as the songs are recorded?
  • Will it be mostly electronic instruments or will the guitar play a big part?

I will mull this idea over for the next few days. Can I give up all of my other hobbies for one month to concentrate on music? That's what I am trying to decide. Even though it would be really hard to not watch movies or play PC games or read books/comics or any of my other hobbies, I really think something very cool could come out of this. It may be something very different but it could be cool nonetheless.

And of course if I decide to do this, this blog will be full of information regarding the project. . . as it's being created!

No comments: